.....for First Information & Pure Entertainment

........Empire State of Mind

>ads 728x90

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

How To Be A Good Director, Songwriter-Akin Alabi

The award-winning music video director known for his song “komole” feat Vector in 2011 is a business administration graduate from University of Ilorin. Akin Alabi, a graphic designer came into limelight in 2005 with the music video of Big Bamo. He bares his mind to Esther Odili on his life, career, how to be a good video director  and his latest Single “yapa” (Abundance) by TIV.
How was it like Growing up?
Growing up was fun. I attended a boarding secondary school where I got so much memorable experiences. I did my primary school education at Lara Day Nursery and Primary School, Ikeja. My secondary school was at Federal Government College (FGC) Idoani, Ondo state while I got my first degree in business administration at university of Ilorin, kwara state.
My parents also encouraged me a lot when they discovered my artistic inclinations. So I would say I enjoyed my growing up days. I was able to try my hands on a lot of things while growing up.
What inspired your interest in video directing?
I chose video directing after trying my hands on graphics designing, music production and web designing. I made the switch to video
production around 2003/2004 because I thought it was one job that combined both visual and sound together.
What skills are required in video directing?
You need to be artistic and creative. Also have a good understanding of how to communicate things effectively using visual images.
What inspires your works?
Other creative works inspire me. Creative environment and nature inspires me too.
How do you combine your career your roles as a cinematographer, business administrator, artist, songwriter and entrepreneur?
I have been managing all this roles ever since I was in university so it’s not really a big issue to me. While in d university, I was also
doing business as a graphic designer. I published a book titled the pursuit of destiny and I also released an album. I also managed a library club called Daniels club.
Which of the professions made you famous?
Video directing brought me fame. My first single titled komole featuring Vector in 2011 also gave me another level of fame so to speak.
Can you share your experience and the limitations during your first video?
My first video was shot on a budget of N25,000. I remember using the Sony pd170 to shoot it with a fisheye lens. Shoot it on the street and it was a memorable experience. No challenges whatsoever.
What do you think is your selling point?
I understand music well because I am a musician too. My pictures and images are remarkably natural looking and also spectacular in
simplicity.
How do you cope with competition in the industry?
Competition is good for everyone. It makes you push yourself the more. I love competition.
Which is more tasking and your most preferred choice, photography,songwriting or video directing?
Video directing is more tasking because it involves lot of different departments and stages. Songwriting and music production is easier for me because I can handle it alone.
What would you consider before directing a music video?
The quality of the song. Does it speak to me first? I also consider the money too.
How well do you relate with your colleagues in the industry?
We relate together very well especially on social media because we don’t get to see physically often.
Would you say you’ve achieved success in your career?
Success is a personal journey for me and it’s in different stages. I am a success but am not done succeeding.
What are the challenges so far?
I don’t see challenges again, I see opportunities. The only challenge maybe I will say is I wish I could slow down time.
Interesting things your fans don’t know about you?
I am a reserved person. I don’t like talking much except I have something important to say. I used to write a lot when I was younger.
Your favourite videos?
My favorite video would include No be God by Gino, Save me by GT DA guitar man.

How would you describe your songs, secular or gospel?
Aha. I think it’s a blend of both.

Video directing in Nigeria, in the past and its present state, has there been any improvement, and what are the challenges?
There has been great improvement. Now we have all the latest video equipment in Nigeria. Now we have access to good locations. Now we
have better budget to work with.
Assessment of Nollywood in Nigeria?
Nollywood is a product of the never-say-never spirit of the Nigerian. We made use of what was available then to tell our own stories our own way but I think its time for Nollywood to take it to the next level which I think they have started doing already
How do cope with the demands of your job and your family life?
My family and my job actually blend together. My wife and I work from the same office. My children are on set with me sometimes too.
Your special moments and your most embarrassing moment?
My special moment was when I discovered my music was getting massive acceptance. It was a special thing for me that I could still make relevant music after leaving it for like 7 years.
The song Komole, what inspired it?
The beat. I produced the beat for fun and I just freestyle the komole chorus on it. I saw that the people around me loved it and I just decided to record it in my house. I also wanted to create a dance song that had inspiring content that anyone could listen too.
Can you talk about your new single?
We just released the video for our new single, “Yapa(Abundance)”, and it definitely wowed everyone.
Share:
Copyright © Emperor | Powered by Blogger Design by ronangelo | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com